24.3.11

showstudio

Showstudio has helped me alot through-out my project. I can always take some infulence from the films and projects that are always constantly changing and pushing the boundries of fashion film. When I first started my project I looked alot at the movements created in Nick Knight's 'Dynamic Blooms' videos. The moving fabrics and fantasy heavily influenced the first shoot of my project when i was set on investigeting the relationship between wind and garments. I fashioned my own dress specifically for this purpose, I was that focused.






But reflecting back now on my drive I feel that for the mere beginnings of a project that I was too focused and perhaps should have been more free and experimental wit the direction I was going on. I did in the end change my outlook and feel that my project gels better because of this change. I am now taking inspiration from a project entitled 'Political Fashion', which was Nick Knight staging a multi-level film project that encouraged creatives to experiment with fashion to convey their own political beliefs, agendas and thoughts. The first stage of 'Political Fashion Films' invites visitors to the SHOWstudio.com to submit a film that articulates some kind of political point using fashion. One of the videos that i found particularly profound was a film made by Nick Knight about racism within the fashion industry.


       

I think that by using the black and white bold text and filming in black and white is the perfect way to grab attention. I also believe that it ties in perfectly with the symbolism of the films message, the negative divide of races, black and white.


http://showstudio.com/project/politicalfashion/movies/2008-04-23

Straight Edge
by Ben Dunbar-Brunton
The styling and modern skinhead style were really inspiring for the direction that my project is headed in now.