17.3.11

Ryan McGinley

Youth and  liberation. 
Defining elements that feature throughout the work of Ryan McGinley. McGinley creates moments of breathtaking beauty using naked feral teens poised in ecstatic abandon and archetypal landscapes. Over the years his work has evolved from documenting reality towards more choreographed scenes.
For me Ryan McGinley's work is a great source of inspiration. I look through his work with a sense of awe and privilage that I am able to view these seemingly private moments. I feel like a digital peeping tom. The style of these photographs makes it seem asthough they are all happy accidents, candit moments but infact they are just a brilliant display of McGinley's talent and ability to judge and time movements perfectly.
The process of carefully staging and directing ‘happenings’, often in beautiful rural landscapes, is increasingly more cinematic in tone, while retaining the spontaneity of his early work. These photos for me are what I would imagine the world to be like if teenagers had the run of the world. Manic, full of energy and life.